The Peacey Family (Including Family Tree)
1. Children of Thomas Peacey (1807 - 1881) and Ann (nee Gardiner)(1822 - 1892)Back L - R : Rosetta (Mrs James Bucknell) (1848 - ), John Thomas (1844 - 1936), Lily Augusta? (Unmarried) (1863 - 1922), Seth (Unmarried) (1846 - 1937)Front : Alfred Richard (1854 - 1938), Ellen (Mrs Jesse Griffin) (1841 - 1911), Minnie Jane? (Unmarried) (1859 - 1940), Arthur Jephtha (1856 - 1934)Jemma (born 1851) who became Mrs George Bucknell is absent
2. Seth Peacey
3. John Peacey
4. John Peacey leads the hymn singing
5. Miss Annie and Miss Lizzie Peacey and ?
6. John Peacey on motorbike and sidecar with daughters Annie and Lizzie (Can you help with who is in the sidecar?)
7. Annie & Lizzie Peacey outside of their shop at Hillcroft
8. John Peacey, Daughters Lizzie & Annie and Iris Restall aged 4
9. Alfred and Jack James Peacey
10. John Peacey with daughters Lizzie and Annie, sidecar occupant unknown, probably in the 1920's. He learned to this motorcycle in his 70's, charged with speeding in his 80's and mat with an accident and broke his leg when he was 83 - he is said to have fretted to get well enough to ride again!
11. Ready for a cycle ride in the late 1890's. Outside of the Peacey's General Stores in Oakridge. This is a photograph of his daughter Annie and a Friend (believed to be a Mr Griffiths
12. John Peacey and his Daughters, Annie and Lizzie, Outside their shop at Hillcroft, 1923
13. John Peacey outside Highcroft
14. Ellen Griffin (nee Peacey) and her brother John Peacey Photograph taken at Hillslie, Houndscroft, Littleworth, home of Ellen
15 - 17. John Peacey riding his motorcycle, probably in the 1920's. He learned to ride his Martynside when in his 70's; he was charged with speeding in his 80's and met with an accident when he was 83 resulting in a broken leg. He fretted to get well enough to ride again. His duaghters are pictured with him.
18. John Peacey on John Peacey, including:
- How he defeated Satan to find God
- His remarkable deliverances from death
- Notes on his family
- Hymns he wrote
19. Family Tree from c.1735
20. Family Details from c.1735
Please note the following correction:
The Thomas Peacey who married Jane Gardiner is not the son of Thomas Peacey and Mary Twissel. The descendants of Thomas and Jane Gardiner are correct but should not be linked with the rest of the peacey Tree.
21. History Group notes on John Peacey and his daughters including his list of family members from his notebook dated April 22nd 1866
22. Article on a Quilt attributed to Ellen Peacey, 1841
John Thomas Peacey, grandson of John, senior, at the early age of 18 was secretary of the Oakridge Wesleyan Society and in that church and in the Sunday school he held every office in turn, save for that of Sunday school superintendent, a post that he steadfastly declined. The Whitsuntide treat was an annual event for Sunday schools and John Peacey organised this for many years. He provided a portable harmonium which was carried round the village and played by his daughter or Mr Lewis. John Peacey's daughters, Lizzie and Annie also played a very important role in the chapel as they ran the Sunday school.
At one time John Peacey owned eight Cottages in Oakridge.
John with his daughters ran a village shop and bakery at Hillcroft and are buried in the chapel burial ground.
Seth Peacey, brother of John, built the house known as The Knowle in Oakridge to live in when married. Unfortunately he was jilted and never did marry.